Hidden tab-top curtains: the How To

Sat Aug 18, 2007 at 11:59 pm in Finished Projects, Tutorial

How to Make Tab Top Curtains:

In the weeks since I posted about making hidden tab-top curtains, I’ve noticed a lot of people finding my site because they’re searching for how to make said hidden tab-top curtains.

Sewing Curtains

SO, since I know how to make them, I thought I’d make my Very First Tutorial about them. It turns out tutorials are not easy things, but I persisted, and thus have the following link to present. It’s a PDF file you can print out:

I hope that you enjoy and find it useful. If you notice something wrong with it, something that needs fixing, please let me know at crafterbynight -AT- gmail -DOT- com.

[Note 9-10-2008:  I moved the file to another location because the previous one seemed to just be horrible.  Hopefully you can download it without issue.]

[Note 11-18-2010: The people who could not download it said so before I put this new link up. Please make sure you have Adobe Reader installed if you have a PC, or it will open in Preview on a Mac.]

Please take the time to let me know what you think of this if you use the pattern  or find it helpful. Happy Sewing!

Print This Page

25 Comments

feel free to leave a few words of your own...
Subscribe to this post's comments feed , or grab the TrackBack URI

Really liked the sound of this tutorial but could not download it. Can you e-mail it mo me??

barbara thompson — Sat Sep 1, 2007 at 6:19 am (link)

Me again – forgot to say it was your Hidden Tab Top Curtains I wanted
Barbara

barbara thompson — Sat Sep 1, 2007 at 6:20 am (link)

Very impressive. I might be able to figure out how to sew the curtains — but not make the tutorial as well!

First, there’s a little mistake on pg. 5, the calculations, which may confuse someone.

You say “72″ wide – 2” either side = 70″

It really should be minus 1″ on either side (2″ total) = 70″

Now, I have heavy fabric to use. I’m afraid it will be too heavy and thick at the top. Do I need to fold over the fabric two times? I don’t need the extra pocket.

gail

Gail — Fri Feb 15, 2008 at 4:08 pm (link)

I had the same problem as one of your previous readers. I could not open the link. Would you also e-mail it to me? Thank you

Dianne Score — Sat Mar 22, 2008 at 8:00 am (link)

I couldn’t download this either, it would be a great help if you could e-mail it to me,

Thanks,

Karen.

Karen Woodbridge — Sat Apr 19, 2008 at 8:16 pm (link)

what a hoot! just in time to sew a panel from fabric found at ikea’s ‘as is’ section. if this works out well, then i’ll try other panels/curtains.

thank you sew much!

-k

karen — Fri May 23, 2008 at 10:09 pm (link)

I could not download how to make hidden tab top curtains. Could you E-mail them to me? thank you

marsha shabsove — Mon Jul 14, 2008 at 1:13 pm (link)

I couldn’t dowload it either. Tried 3x on 2 different days. Can you email it to me? Thanks!!!

Adrienne — Tue Sep 9, 2008 at 10:22 am (link)

I’ve made all kinds of drapes — usually just by looking at something I can copy it. I think your tutorial is done very well, and very detailed, and should be a big help to those who need the instructions. I’m always looking for basic guidelines, like how wide should the tab be, or how deep should the top folds be, etc. and that’s how I happened by.

Good Luck with everything!

Genia — Fri Feb 6, 2009 at 7:12 am (link)

thanks so much!! I tried to make the ideas clear for how deep the hems should be, and tab width and spacing, since those things affect how a panel hangs :)

Miriam — Fri Feb 6, 2009 at 9:37 am (link)

Thank you for that excellent tutorial on hidden tab tops. It was extremely easy to follow, and I am off to attempt it right now. Kind regards, and I will definitely be back.

Janis Morrison — Mon May 11, 2009 at 3:04 pm (link)

I’m so very glad you like it! I hope your curtains turn out great!

Miriam — Tue May 12, 2009 at 1:26 pm (link)

Thank you, smart lady! I have 3 pairs to do, I really like tab curtains, and invisible tabs even better, but was a little hesitant to proceed (I’ve made many rod pocket panels and tab curtains in my life but needed a push this time). Good tutorial!

Verna — Thu May 28, 2009 at 12:15 pm (link)

Thank you for sharing this! I just bought some fabric for making curtains, but had no idea exactly what I wanted to do until I saw this. Thanks again!

Michelle — Thu Oct 29, 2009 at 7:32 am (link)

I hope you like the pattern! Let me know what you think if you use it!

Miriam — Mon Nov 2, 2009 at 11:40 am (link)

Hi I just found your site in time for me to make curtains for my daughters bedroom. But I wasn’t able to download the file! Could you please email the file for the hidden tab curtains? Thanks in advance!

jackie — Tue Jan 12, 2010 at 11:57 pm (link)

I could not download the tutorial. Could you email the instructions. I would really appreciate it.

Terri — Thu Mar 4, 2010 at 6:21 pm (link)

I could not download the tutorial for hidden tab. Would you please email me the instructions? Thank you so much!

Vicki — Mon May 24, 2010 at 9:18 am (link)

Would you e-mail those directions? I couldn’t download either. Thanks!!

nancy — Fri May 28, 2010 at 8:49 pm (link)

All of us could not download the tutorial. And where hoping that you will send it through e-mail.

Thanks and waiting for your post.

Strip Curtain Doors — Wed Aug 4, 2010 at 12:55 pm (link)

I tried, as the others did, to download your tutorial on how to make back tab drapes, and could not. Would you be so kind to e-mail them to me? I just love the looks of them, and I am redoing several rooms that have traverse rods, and want to simplify the window treatment and the back tab seems the perfect solution.

Betty Domine

Betty Domine — Thu Nov 18, 2010 at 5:45 am (link)

Loved the tutorial. How do you determine how WIDE to make the curtains so that they cover the window correctly. I was able to print the instructions just fine.

Gwen — Wed Mar 16, 2011 at 11:16 am (link)

Hi Gwen, the general rule of thumb I use for determining curtain width is:
1) for moderately ruffled curtains the width is window width + 50% so if the window is 42 inches the curtain would be 63 inches wide.
2) for really seriously thick or drapey curtains with more drama I would go twice the window width so 84 inches from the previous example.

I generally go with the former. I like more tailored looking curtains. For the hidden tab top, I tend to err on the narrower side. If i were just doing a plain rod pocket i might go fuller, because the drape is so much different with it hanging that way. Just figure you will have a pleat/ruffle wherever there is a tab. You can start to get an idea of fullness if you think of it that way. It looks best if there’s a bit of space between the tabs, I think.

Miriam — Wed Mar 16, 2011 at 9:39 pm (link)

how do I make just tab top curtain (not hidden ones)

toni — Fri Apr 22, 2011 at 3:55 pm (link)

Hi,
I the link won’t open for me. Please send it to me via email.

Yolanda — Mon May 16, 2011 at 1:35 pm (link)

Got something to say? Leave a comment!

CommentLuv badge